Is Happiness a Choice?
Believe it or not, it is within your power to create positive thoughts allowing you to accomplish anything you set out to do. Can you really think yourself happy? The answer is a qualified yes. Research proves that how we think can directly affect how we feel. Here are the ways in which positive thoughts can help you accomplish many things in life.
Positive thoughts produce positive results. We can either bemoan our situation, or change it. We can be negative about an event or enthusiastic. President Lincoln once said, “Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” If you really want to think yourself happy, then make up your mind to do so. It may be difficult to think happy in a world filled with hatred and violence. But it’s not impossible. One person, one idea, one positive thought can change society. How, then, can we make ourselves happy? By being a constant reminder to others that there is goodness in the world. Some examples:
- Seek out positive people to associate with.
- Expose yourself to all the wonderful books, music and movies available.
- Find the one important thing in your life that’s important, and pursue it.
- Show kindness and respect towards others.
- Live life as if every day is your last.
- Use positive reinforcement wherever and whenever you can.
- Use visualization methods to view the positive aspects of life.
- Speak in a positive tone.
- Rid your mind of negative thinking with yoga and exercise.
- Let your expectations reflect your positive attitude.
- Allow peace of mind to envelop you.
- Become your own best friend.
There is a wonderful poem by an unknown author which clearly explains how unhappiness can thwart our every desire.
If you think you are beaten you are;
If you think you dare not, you don’t;
If you want to win but think you can’t;
It’s almost a cinch you won’t.
If you think you’ll lose you’re lost;
For out of the world we find
Success begins with a fellow’s will;
It’s all in a state of mind.
Life’s battles don’t always go
To the stronger and faster man.
Happiness is not automatic. It is ingrained in us (or not) by our family of origin and those we spend time with. It is up to us, then, to create it, to maintain it, share it, and build our lives around it. Think happier thoughts, and you will be happier.
If you would like to explore ways to change your life story from one of “just getting by” to one of greater happiness and fulfillment, perhaps having a coach can make a difference while you create a new story of wellness.